The Kahima Homestead is in Masheruka Village in Bushenyi district three hours from Kampala and one hour from Mbarara municipality. The home is a few meters away from the main road in the middle of a banana plantation. The village has beautiful landscape ideal for scenic viewing, photography, hiking, and bicycling; a traditional wood carver; a women’s basketry and cultural group; and blacksmith. Nearby places of interest include Lake Mburo National Park and other COBATI homesteads.
- Homestead Hosts
Betty is a rural housewife and midwife; her husband Kahima is a retired policeman who is in charge of security issues in their village. They have grown children who no longer live at home, but like most African families, they care for relatives who live with them. The Kahimas are farmers who practice mixed farming. They have a banana plantation, coffee shamba, piggery, chicken, rabbits, and grow crops like beans, millet, and greens. The house is a three-bedroom bungalow set in a neat, well-kept compound with a beautiful flower garden.
Sleeps: 2 per room (2 rooms available)
There is one guest bedroom in the main house and one guest bedroom in the cottage.
Sleeps: 2 per room (2 rooms available)
Bedrooms:Room 1: Private room in main house with double bed, mosquito net, electrical outlet Room 2: Private room in guest cottage with double bed, mosquito net, electrical outlet
Shared bathroom with family in main house – toilet, sink, shower (no bathtub), hot/cold running water
Amenities- Linens, towels, soap, iron and ironing board
- TV in family living room
- Kitchen access with fridge and stove
Notes: The home does not have heat, air conditioning, phone, or Internet.
Wheelchair accessible: No
Smoking: Outside only
Handcraft lesson from women’s group Farm tour of banana plantation, sugarcane, avocado, piggery, and biogas Day Visitor Activities
For overnight guests there is a one-time charge for participation in any/all of the homestead activities below. Daytime visitors can schedule selected activities (priced individually); for details, please see the Rates section.
Optional Activities (additional cost applies)
- Traditional dance/singing performance by women’s group
- Demonstration of traditional banana beer brewing process
- Tour of Betty’s domiciliary ending with a lecture of how she started, maternal health care, HIV/AIDS management, and counseling services she renders and the impact it has on her community
- Full Board – Adult: UGX 100,000 per person, per day
- Homestead Activities – Adult: UGX: 20,000 per person, per visit (one time charge for duration of stay)
- Full Board – Children below 12 years: UGX 50,000 per person, per day; includes homestead activities
Day Visitor Activities
Prices are per person unless noted
- Handcraft lesson from women’s group (1 hour): UGX 60,000 (per lesson)
- Farm tour and domiciliary tour with lecture: UGX 25,000
Prices are per activity.
- Traditional dance/singing performance by women’s group: UGX 50,000
- Demonstration of traditional banana beer brewing process: UGX 100,000
Food and Beverage
Overnight homestay includes three meals per day with beverages. The following prices are for additional items or food and beverage for day visitors.
- Breakfast: UGX: 10,000
- Traditional meal with organic vegetables (no meat): UGX: 15,000
- Traditional meal (with meat/chicken/fish): UGX: 25,000
- African tea/coffee and local snacks: UGX: 5,000
- Bottled water: UGX: 700
- Coffee/tea: UGX: 1,500
- Soft drink: UGX: 1,500
Prices are in Uganda Shilling. See a price in your currency >
Prices subject to change without notice.
- Reservation Information
Terms and Conditions
Reservations: Reservations are required 48 hours in advance for overnight and daytime visits.
Minimum stay: 1 night.
Deposit: No deposit required to hold reservation.
Booking fee:T here is a $20 per person booking fee.
Final payment: Full payment for all services (room, food, activities) is due 48 hours before check in, payable to COBATI by Western Union, Moneygram, Mobile Money, or cash in Uganda Shillings. Payment for any additional items added during stay (food, activities, additional nights) is due in cash (Uganda Shillings) to the host family at check out.
Check in / Check out: Times are flexible, to be arranged upon reservation.
Cancellation: Reservations may be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to check in with no penalty. For cancellations made less than 48 hours before check in, full payment is due.
COBATI retains the right to post photos taken of guests at homesteads on the COBATI website and social media pages.